Saturday, June 14, 2008

Back to sewing and my JCC.........Knit fabric book reviews

The last 2 posts were not sewing related unless you think of self-tanner as a way to wear/make more skirts and chocolate as a way to "grow" into another size, hence the need to make larger skirts. ;o)

Back to my JCC, which I've hardly started.
I did change the pattern for the cherries fabric. I realized the gathered skirt, combined with no longer having a small waist and not wearing a crinoline would just make me look BIG. I've now chosen Vogue 2267, which is a remake of a 1954 design. I will still have the vintage 50's dress, which I feel my cherry fabric was screaming for, without the added weight-gain of the gathered skirt. I also think the little jacket included is darn cute.
I also changed the skirt pattern I was using to Simplicity 4091, view F (teal skirt in the middle left). I still plan to use the denim fabric. This skirt I can wear on "Jeans Fridays" as an alternative to crawling into a pair of jeans on a hot summer day.

I need to go to the post office again this Saturday. Last Saturday my Knipmode magazine was waiting for me. This Saturday I should find the much sought after and coveted May Patrones issue waiting for me. (YEAH!!!)

I also purchased 2 knit sewing books last week from Amazon. The first was recommended by Ann (Gorgeous Things blog) Sew U Home Stretch and the second by Gigi (Behind the Seams blog) Designing and Patternmaking for Stretch Fabrics.
I am not a fan of Built by Wendy patterns from Simplicity as they are not my style, BUT this is a fantastic book for anyone wanting more information on sewing with knits. The book is intended for beginners and I feel it does a good job helping a beginner get their feet wet in the knit sewing arena. The one caveat is the author zeros in on using a serger. If you don't own a serger you may want to after reading this book. But (again with the "but") you can sew knits easily on your sewing maching using a stretch stitch. I've done it and lived to tell the tale. Just don't ask me about the "fun" I had ripping out every single seam in those pants since I was sewing challenged the day I made them. The book also comes with t-shirt and dress/skirt patterns to get you started, and I think the patterns are rather cute. I will probably try the t-shirt and maybe the dress, with the sleeves (lengthened).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


This is my new favorite book. No, I do not intend to create patterns at this time in my life, but if you want invaluable information on stretch fabrics, pattern layout and beyond, grab this book. I learned a lot last night when I started reading. Basically, this is a textbook (and the price reflects that it's a texbook...OUCH!!). The material is well layed out and organized. I think the author, Keith Richardson, is a perfectionist and this is reflected in his writing style and explanations. He is not boring, but factual, and you will learn just about everything you need to know about knits from him.

Both of these books are available at http://www.amazon.com/. I know the textbook was in the FIT bookstore when I went to NYC, but I wasn't carrying it around with me through the city.

7 comments:

Meg said...

I'll have to check out that patternmaking book the next time I'm at FIT. I do so love sewing knits.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Ummmm can we start sewing NOW!!!! Its June 14th!!!! No more changing of the mind...no more switching patterns...this is your friendly reminder that you need to start sewing NOW!!

Oh and don't make me come up there cause I will!!!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Claire.-
also likes you to the magazine PATRONES?.... appears to be a very popular publication in all blogs sewing. I like. Thank you for information about the books seem very interesting. Best wishes, Paco

Unknown said...

I also ordered the U Sew book after reading Anne's review. I agree with your comments, and hope this book will help me jump on the knits bandwagon this summer! And I love your idea of doing that skirt in denim, I have it also and will have to put a sticky note on it!

Kim said...

What a pretty dress, and I totally agree - the jacket is great. Can't wait to see it!

Claire S. said...

I love both the dress and the skirt !

I haven't been brave enough yet to try knits but I want to. Since I've bought knit fabric, I'd better figure it out :-)...I think I'll check out the U Sew book.

Tany said...

I have the last book and I love it! It was money well spent!